I am running for City Council because of a need I see for a better connection and communication between the Council and the residents and small businesses.
My interest in Newport’s politics began in 2005, as soon as I settled down in Newport Heights. My neighbors seemed to be always engaged in neighborhood issues. By 2017 I began to have enough time to look for ways to be more active and try to have a positive effect. I was recruited to join the Board of Directors of SPON (Still Protecting our Newport) and made it a point to attend City Council and Planning Commission and other meetings to become fully informed.
A few months ago, some community members encouraged me to run for City Council for District 2. After serious consideration, I decided that I had the leadership skills and knowledge of City programs and committees to be an effective representative of the community.
My focus for the next four years will be to concentrate on the following:
- Community-Driven Decisions - Make informed decisions on topics that come before the council based on firsthand knowledge gathered from the community to supplement City Staff provided information
- General Plan Update - Ensure that the General Plan Update is developed based on community input
- Housing Density - Resist the State mandates to increase housing density
- Airport Issues - Fight to have Citizens voices be heard on Airport issues including expansion of General Aviation, noise and pollution issues
- Short Term Lodging - Support community resistance to Short Term Rental expansion at the expense of the resident’s peaceful enjoyment of their neighborhoods and home values
- City Zoning Decisions – Slow the erosion of City zoning variances that continue to proliferate
- Encourage transparency and contribute to making our city government more representative and inclusive
I am a problem solver. It is what I do for a living. I believe change is inevitable. And I believe that it is important to participate in the planning of that change to achieve the best possible outcome. I hope you will join me in my campaign and vote for me in November for City Council.